Saturday, July 31, 2010

A lousy summer slump...


Just coming out of one of those annoying slumps, the kind when the kicks that usually work for you just don’t cut it. Over the last two months, I’ve hardly written a word, I’ve read only two or three books and even the movie-watching has dropped off. Don’t know why, can’t explain it. It’s been awhile since I experienced that sort of complete lack of interest in the things I normally love and it’s always accompanied by a general sense of malaise and unfocused anxiety. Weird.
But as I say, I’m coming out of it now. The two or three books I read eventually kick-started my imagination again (the Zeltserman book in the previous review, Burrough’s Junky, and the new one by Vincent Zandri, which was pretty goddamn awesome, review coming soon). I’ve been getting excited again about outlining a new novel and doing some much-needed revisions on City of Heretics. Much catching up to do. Two months is much too long to stew around not enjoying anything, don’t you think?

3 comments:

  1. Hello!
    This is my first post on your blog and I just recently, discovered your link through one of the pulp link(s), but I'am so "happy" to read that you are emerging from your slump...I usually just read your blog post, but I never commented.

    However,I must admit that your photograph is kind of frightening...because I don't think "Jack Daniel," "a gun" and "slump" mix... "Two months is much too long to stew around not enjoying anything, don’t you think?
    I would have to agree you..."wholeheartedly.
    Thanks, for sharing!
    DeeDee ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeeDee-- thanks for the kind words, and thanks for reading my blog. Sorry for alarming you! For what it's worth, I rarely drink, and I don't even own a gun... no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cont...
    Oops! Heath Lawrence, let me clarify...my previous comment.
    I didn't mean to "imply"
    (I'am most definitely, sorry for implying that the photograph was related to you, personally, or on a personal level)...Because I don't know you personally.

    I think that I was equating the photograph with such writers as: Hemingway, Chandler, Thompson, Williams, Goodis and Bukowski's lives and more so "images" of them in my "mindeye" and most definitely, not an image of you, but your response to my comment is ..."priceless!"

    DeeDee ;-D

    ReplyDelete